You are here: Home > Venue Hire > Conferencing and Venues > The Father Willis Organ

The Father Willis Organ

The Father Willis organ in the Concert Hall

The Father Willis organ in the Concert Hall

The Father Willis organ is the centrepiece of the Town Hall’s beautifully restored Concert Hall. It was originally built for the Small Town Hall, now known as the Victoria Hall. It is significant as the most unaltered example of a Father Willis concert organ to survive in this country. The acoustics of the Concert Hall are regarded as the perfect complement to the organ.

The organ was built in 1864 as part of a refurbishment of the Victoria Hall. It was commissioned by Reading Philharmonic Society from Henry Willis, one of Britain’s foremost organ builders. Willis built over two thousand organs during his career, including the one in the Albert Hall. He is commonly known as ‘Father’ Willis, recognising that he was the greatest organ builder of the Victorian era.

The original instrument had 1660 pipes and cost the Society £770, while Reading Corporation paid £320 to adapt the Hall. Unfortunately the organ was incomplete for the opening concert on 6 October 1864, for which S.S. Wesley, organist of Winchester Cathedral, had been engaged to play ‘a series of Classical pieces’. Despite this, it was formally handed over by the Society to Reading Corporation at this occasion. By Christmas the organ was finished, and Willis himself gave a recital on 17 December 1864.

Between 1872 and 1875 a new building was added in front of the Victoria Hall containing the Council Chamber, offices and a clock tower. This building was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, the architect of the Natural History Museum. In 1879 it was proposed to build a new concert hall and move the Willis organ into it. The organ was dismantled and Henry Willis was asked to rebuild it in the Concert Hall designed by Thomas Lainson. £800 was spent upgrading and re-scaling the organ to match the tonal qualities of its new location.

The Concert Hall and organ before restoration in 1998Details of the Concert Hall and organ after restoration

The Concert Hall opened on 31 May 1882 and the first performance was the Hallelujah Chorus. The organist was Walter Parratt of Magdalen College, Oxford.

The organ received regular tuning, and underwent a major clean and repair in 1936. In 1947 the pitch of the organ was lowered. This was the only major change to Willis’s original design, the organ otherwise being the most unaltered example of its kind surviving in this country.

The organ was restored in 1999 by Harrison & Harrison with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund. It was then decided to restore the pitch to that intended by Willis in 1882. The Concert Hall was reopened in 2000 and now hosts regular organ recitals, concerts and comedy, for what's on see

Follow the links below to find out about hiring this beautiful venue for conferences, dinners or weddings.

Date updated: 07 Jun 2016

Related Content:

The Concert Hall viewed from the stage

The Concert Hall is an ideal venue for large-scale events, conferences, seminars, exhibitions and dinners.

Date published: 12 Oct 2010

External view of the Town Hall from the Town Square

Reading Museum & Town Hall enjoys a growing regional and national reputation for professionalism, hosting a range of high profile events.

Date published: 12 Oct 2010

First dance in the Concert Hall

We have three beautiful rooms licensed for civil ceremonies.

Date published: 12 Oct 2010

Copyright Reading Borough Council 2018

Content management system from web labs

Quick search:

Find Your Interests:

Jump to section: 

What's On at a Glance: